Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Barbara Stuckey reviews the reviewer



Mr. Berko,

With great enjoyment I just read your review and insights from
interviewing Martin. Having performed with him in Le Cid and having seen some of his productions and rehearsals, I consider him a directorial genius. His interpretations always surprise or delight me; I go to his work, and to him as a person, knowing that "this" will be as powerful as the time before.

From you particularly the praise ranks very high. You know what
performers have to do: the work behind the curtain must produce the suspended moment for the audience. You not only hold the community to that demand, but you know it when you see it and say so. I admire your standards and abilities to articulate them and who achieves them. I'm so glad you have seen and said the magic Martin makes.

(Barbara Stuckey is a Washington DC dancer.)